Tuesday 23 August 2011

Goals

Here's the thing about goals... you set them, you reach them... then what? Live happily ever after? I thought so! I was wrong... but not in a bad way... I mean I've set my share of goals in the past... and met them and life's been good. Let's take smoking! I started smoking when I was 13 (terrible!!!) and I smoked A LOT!! At least a pack a day... then I decided I wanted to be around for my kids, I set a goal to quit and I did! It's been 18 months and I am smoke free, no slip ups and it feels pretty great, the gold at the end of the rainbow... "happily ever after?"... sort of... see that started a chain of events. It gave me the courage to set and achieve other goals. Once I knew I had it in me to succeed it got a little easier to set a goal and achieve it, get more gold. Make it through 6 weeks of Boot Camp, CHECK! Give up my 2 large iced cappuccinos a day, CHECK! Lose weight, CHECK! Run, CHECK, Run a 5KM race, CHECK!
My goals are not all huge, balls to the wall goals, they aren't even all fitness related... My biggest goal has been to be a better person... and that is something that I will be working on forever... which brings me to my point... what about after? Once I meet my goals, get my gold... then what??
Here's another thing about goals... you set them, you reach them, get your gold, you live happily ever after... and then what? Well that's up to you... you could stop there and that's perfectly acceptable and you'd have every right to feel proud! Let's face it, achieving a goal is pretty damn awesome! And sticking to it, is work, so there's that...
For me things are a little different, and that's partially because of who I am, and partially because of who I've become!
I could be comfortable with what I've done to this point and it'd be pretty easy for me to maintain... because I've been given all the tools and knowledge to keep up what I'm doing. There's no shame in that either... but I'm not that person any more. My eyes are open MUCH wider now and I've seen too much... of ME! I've spent the last 5 months pushing and pulling, fighting and working, sweating and crying, straining and bruising! I have absolutely LOVED every single second of it! I'm not lying either, it's been such a rush seeing what this body can endure. I can't stop now... I have a bit more weight to lose, sure! I have some toning I want to do on my wobbly-bits, sure! But I want MORE!! I'm worth more!! I can DO MORE!
Here's one more thing about "Goals" they are forever changing and redefining. They have no limits, no bounds and no rules... because YOU set them! So here's my advise... DON'T! Don't stop setting goals, DON'T stop achieving them, DON'T limit yourself, CHASE every single rainbow and get YOUR gold!
I don't know where this journey is leading me... but I know it's a better place then where I was and I also know there is WAY more gold to be had!!

No comments:

Post a Comment