Sunday 30 October 2011

With or Without you

To use a trainer or not to use a trainer?... that is the question! Well lucky for you, I have the answer.
Back when I started all this training and was offered the AMAZING opportunity to partake in the 12 week challenge, a lot of people said that I couldn't fail when I had a trainer by my side through the entire process... I'm not gonna lie a little part of me took offence to that statement. I felt like they were discrediting the work I'd be putting in. I mean yeah, I have a trainer, but I'm doing the work so how could anyone think this was "in the bag", right?  Well now I see that statement from an entirely different point of view...
Could I go to the gym everyday and work out, eat healthy and loose weight and maintain a healthy weight? Sure, I probably could! So why use a trainer? I'll tell you why, because if I hadn't I would NEVER get the body I want! I definately would not have put a bikini on this past summer and truth be told I would have quit 3 months in... lets face it we want fast results... one word "TRAINER"!!!
My experience with a trainer (and I've used 2) has been all positive, I'm pretty sure I got the best of the best in that department. There is  a lot to be said for pushing and encouraging and being held accountable. That part of a trainers job is invaluable. Those are the things that get you through each and every session. I promise you if Sam and Lisa didn't push, encourage and call bullshit on me each and every time I worked with them I would have stopped at the first sign of fatigue, who wouldn't??? And now that I'm on my own (physically) in the gym there are times when I can still hear Lisa in my ear saying "C'mon Jenna, you got this" or Sam yelling "PUSH! DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOURSELF" and THAT will drive me through that last set, sometimes with tears in my eyes! But I fight because I know I can, they taught me that.
Here's the important thing though... they TAUGHT me. Yeah sure they showed me how to use weights, and machines and cardio. Anyone could have done that I suppose, but they TAUGHT me how to use ALL that equipment properly and understand WHY I'm doing what I'm doing. When I train I am 100% focused on the muscle group I'm training. I won't say hi to you at the gym (unless I'm between sets) I won't answer a text message (well unless I'm doing cardio, or talking to my trainer... lol) and I won't get discouraged because I've been taught that way.
So now when people say "well of course you lost that weight and got in shape, you had a trainer" I'll say you're damn right and you should get one too!
I train online now so I am physically at the gym alone, but Sam is with me 24/7, she will never give up on me and will kick my ass whenever I need it.  How could I possibly fail when my trainer believes in me to that extent??? With or Without you? Always with, Always!

1 comment: