Friday 24 June 2011

Mind and Muscle Connection

Over the last few weeks my body had gone though a copious amount of changes, but so has my head... I've changed so much, and who the heck woulda thunk it!
It hurts a little to admit it, but I was totally weak before this challenge. I didn't push myself at all, I did ONLY what I had to do... in almost everything... ewww! But now I come from a place of YES (just like  Bethenny Frankle who I LOVE) and it feels amazing!
Last night we finished Week 8 of BeautyFit Boot Camp (that's 14 weeks straight for me) and it was so much fun, and wow, what an accomplishment! But afterwards we chatted a little bit with Jimmy Mentis (he's the kinda guy who has this ability to ask you questions that seem cut and dry until 4 a.m. when you actually start to analyse what he really meant) he asked us a few questions... "Is boot camp easier now?" and the answer is NO it isn't, but I'm soooo much stronger! Then he asked "Do you find you are 'pushing' or 'pulling' yourself" - I immediately said "oh I push" and I was pretty confident in that answer. I admit sometimes I gotta pull my butt outta bed to meet Lisa @ 7 a.m., but I push to do better every dang day!... Well as expected that question burned in my head ALL DAMN night... what did he mean? What am I not getting? What's the difference?

It's 7 a.m. I'm with Lisa ready to find out what she has planned for me and I'm like... "OH SH*T"!! I have 13 weight lifting exercises to do in reps of 10 and 15... this will be timed and done 5 times! again OH SH*T!  My first time through was 5 mins and 34 seconds... not bad and I feel freaking awesome... I get to the 4th set and Lisa tells me I've shortened my time each set... WHAT???? I'm pumped I wanna beat MYSELF! My body is screaming and I honestly feel like puking, I can't breathe ... I may even pass out... BUT, and this is the big thing, my MIND says "ROCK THIS!!" and I did... 4 Mins 39 Seconds... I "PULLED" myself through and shaved almost an entire minute off my time! And it's not over... I don't even get it yet... I have no idea I figured out what Jimmy meant... until Lisa puts me on the stair mill for 10 mins doing 2 minute intervals... I am dripping sweat, there is puke in my throat and my legs have been filled with sand.... seriously! Is she crazy, I can't even find the place of Yes here... WTF! EVERY SINGLE STEP I took in the last 4 minutes was completely controlled by my brain... lift right leg, set down, lift left leg, set down for 4 straight minutes...
I "PUSH" myself every single day and those pushes are easier every day because I have made a decision to "come from a place of Yes" but some times I gotta "PULL" and that is the hardest thing to do... make that connection between your mind and your muscles and that is training at it's best! My trainers push me, they pull me, they read me and they call bullsh*t when it's necessary but most importantly... they teach me how to do it myself! Push vs. Pull... I get it, do you? xo

No comments:

Post a Comment